- BEAULIEU ESTATE -

Gardens and Estate Part 1

HOME PAGE BEAULIEU
1 : Introduction
2 : Motor Museum
3 : SOE Exhibit
4 : Gardens
5 : Beaulieu Abbey
6 : Palace House
7 : James Bond Exhibit
HOME PAGE : LIST-O-LINKS INDEX



A view from the lounge of Palace House over the garden grounds and Beaulieu River to the village.

The following pictures (apart from the Clockhouse) are of the river and village taken from the Palace House grounds.





CLOCK HOUSE (below)

Now known as Clock House, this small 14th century building was once the Outer Gatehouse to Beaulieu Abbey. It was where the porter, or gatekeeper, handed out food, clothing and fuel to the poor.

Visitors to the abbey were also received here, and passed on through the Great Gatehouse (now part of Palace House) to the abbey itself.

The clock tower on top was added in 1885 by Henry, 1st Lord Montagu of Beaulieu.


buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes